February 1, 2012

Babies are NOT Props. | Mission Viejo, Orange County Newborn Photographer

There has been quite a bit of drama in the newborn photography world today. Images are all over Facebook of babies in very precarious situations- in glass jars, hanging from branches, folded in ways that could very quickly lead to asphyxiation... I'm saddened and frightened by some of the questionable safety practices that I am seeing.

Parents- please, please, please be an advocate for your precious new baby. Many images you see- babies with their heads in their hands, babies hanging from branches, babies on top of high furniture- are composites, pulled together in editing to achieve an effect. I cannot post examples of my own work, as this is not an area I have stepped into, and frankly, will probably refrain from. I prefer the simpler, more natural poses- but that is personal preference. Regardless of your style, your baby should never be a PROP. If your photographer does anything that makes you uncomfortable, never be afraid to follow your gut and speak up.

As a mommy and a photographer, I promise that I value the safety of your family. I promise to always take the utmost care in handling your children. My blankets, hats and wraps are washed in free & clear detergent to protect their delicate skin; my vaccinations are up to date, including the most current Pertussis booster; I will always wash my hands before touching your little one... I'm a mommy, too, and I know the extent to which you love and worry. I always encourage my clients to speak up if I EVER do anything to make them feel unsure about my interaction with their babies, and I am happy to report that I've never had that issue come up.



I want you to have amazing, natural images of your sweet newborn to look back on with great joy. Whether they come from me or another talented photographer, I simply wish for them to be done with the highest standard of care.

Do you Pinterest? Pin Me with the tag #newbornsafety to spread the word!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I could not agree more. It drives me crazy seeing these. SAFETY FIRST! What I love about babies is the sleepy poses, soft lips, peeling skin, teeny toes not hanging from the sky, on top of 20 towels. I don't get it. Well said Allison!

    ReplyDelete